Evening Primrose Oil (EPO)
Evening primrose oil is extracted from the seeds of Oenothera biennis, a plant native to North America and South America. The oil contains linoleic acid, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and other omega-6 fatty acids⁽¹⁾.
Available as a supplement. The flowers and stems are edible.
Helps maintain good health and wellbeing as EPO is a rich source of GLA
Supports skin health such as atopic dermatitis ⁽²⁾
Rheumatoid arthritis ⁽³⁾
Premenstrual syndrome (PMS) ⁽⁴⁾
Breast pain ⁽⁴⁾
Menopause symptoms ⁽⁴⁾
Evening Primrose Oil is a rich source of omega-6 fatty acid, gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). Supplementation of evening primrose oil rich in GLA can help maintain good health and wellbeing. Evening Primrose Oil also assists with minor skin conditions such as dry and itchy skin. Evening Primrose oil supplementation might be effective for improving lipid profiles. The results of a 2020 study have indicated that supplementation of less that 4g per day of EPO considerably reduces serum TG levels and significantly increases HDL levels in hyperlipidemic subjects ⁽⁵⁾.
Products with Evening Primrose Oil (EPO)
Have a question?
Quality counts. From the way we source and manage ingredients, to the sophisticated ways they work together to target specific conditions.
Have a question about one of our products, where we source our ingredients or how we operate?
Ask our team of nutrition experts and scientists or take a look through our FAQs page.
Where are Ultra Nature products manufactured?
All of our vitamins and supplements are designed, tested, approved and manufactured in Australia.
Are all Ultra Nature Products TGA Approved?
Ultra Nature Products are Approved by the TGA where required, and, if so, carry an Aust L number on front of the product packaging.
The only product in our range that is not TGA approved is the Ultra Nature Propolis and Manuka Honey Oral Spray.
This product is classified as a food supplement due to the Manuka Honey Content, hence it does not require TGA Approval.
Where can I buy Ultra Nature products?
What age group is suitable to consume an adult dose?
As per TGA guidelines, an adult dose is suitable for individuals 18 years and older.
How should I store my vitamins and supplements?
We recommend referring to the label for safe storage guidance. In general, with any supplement, it is always recommend that you store them at an average room temperature of 25°C and you must not store them in direct sunlight or near heat.
1. Timoszuk M, Bielawska K, Skrzydlewska E. Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) Biological Activity Dependent on Chemical Composition. Antioxidants. 2018;7(8):108. doi:10.3390/antiox7080108
Evening Primrose ( Oenothera biennis) Biological Activity Dependent on Chemical Composition – PubMed (nih.gov)
2. Senapati, Swapan et al. “Evening primrose oil is effective in atopic dermatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial.” Indian journal of dermatology, venereology and leprology vol. 74,5 (2008): 447-52. doi:10.4103/0378-6323.42645
Evening primrose oil is effective in atopic dermatitis: a randomized placebo-controlled trial – PubMed (nih.gov)
3. El-Sayed, R M et al. “Evening primrose oil and celecoxib inhibited pathological angiogenesis, inflammation, and oxidative stress in adjuvant-induced arthritis: novel role of angiopoietin-1.” Inflammopharmacology vol. 22,5 (2014): 305-17. doi:10.1007/s10787-014-0200-5
Evening primrose oil and celecoxib inhibited pathological angiogenesis, inflammation, and oxidative stress in adjuvant-induced arthritis: novel role of angiopoietin-1 – PubMed (nih.gov)
4. Mahboubi M. Evening Primrose (Oenothera biennis) Oil in Management of Female Ailments. J Menopausal Med. 2019 Aug;25(2):74-82. https://doi.org/10.6118/jmm.18190
5. Khorshidi, Masoud et al. “Effect of evening primrose oil supplementation on lipid profile: A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.” Phytotherapy research : PTR vol. 34,10 (2020): 2628-2638. doi:10.1002/ptr.6716